Various Artists - NOW: Yearbook 1986 - (Special Edition 4CD Album) - pre-order [2023-02-24]
Various Artists - NOW: Yearbook 1986 - (Special Edition 4CD Album)
NOW Music is proud to present the next instalment in our ongoing ‘Yearbook’ series, NOW – Yearbook 1986; 80 tracks from a fantastic year in pop!
Opening with two stellar #1s, ‘A Different Corner’ from George Michael and ‘The Sun Always Shines On T.V.’ from a-ha, before leading into huge hits from Duran Duran (‘Notorious’), Kate Bush (‘Hounds Of Love’) and ‘Thorn In My Side’ from Eurythmics. A top year for pure Pop magic is showcased in the next run of hits, including the #1 from Falco, plus Level 42, Kim Wilde, Nick Kamen, Owen Paul, and The Bangles, before timeless radio friendly Pop from the Pretenders, and the lead single from one of the year’s biggest albums (‘Graceland’) from Paul Simon with ‘You Can Call Me Al’. Reggae-Pop from UB40 and another #1 from Boris Gardiner give way to two of the year’s most enduring ballads from Simply Red and Spandau Ballet.
The second disc is all about Pop-Dance energy – kicking off with Wham!’s final hit and #1 ‘The Edge Of Heaven’ and 1986’s biggest seller ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’ from The Communards with Sarah Jane Morris. Bananarama scored a huge hit (and a US #1) with ‘Venus’, and Stock Aitken & Waterman achieved a further huge hit with Mel & Kim’s debut ‘Showing Out…’
Sophisticated Pop gems from Debbie Harry, Belouis Some, The Blow Monkeys and the sublime ‘Breakout’ from Swing Out Sister lead into a fabulous run of Soul and Dance floor-fillers from Aretha Franklin, Gwen Guthrie, Cameo, Jermaine Stewart, Whitney Houston’s ‘How Will I Know’, and closes with Lionel Richie’s international smash ‘Dancing On The Ceiling’.
Alternative Pop takes the spotlight on Disc three with 1986 a vintage year for the sheer diversity of its chart music. The Smiths peerless ‘Panic’ opens, followed by Frankie Goes To Hollywood and Sigue Sigue Sputnik, with the disc also featuring New Order, Furniture, Public Image Limited, It’s Immaterial, and Big Audio Dynamite. Landmark hits from Talk Talk, Simple Minds and The Psychedelic Furs re-version of ‘Pretty In Pink’ were among the year’s highlights of Alt-Rock, and Red Box, Culture Club, Howard Jones, and well-chosen covers from The Damned and Doctor & The Medics with their #1 take on ‘Spirit In The Sky’ produced yet more classic Pop.
The final disc starts in epic cinematic style with the iconic #1 ‘Take My Breath Away’ (taken from the film ‘Top Gun’) by Berlin, with huge global Rock smashes from Bon Jovi and a #1 from Europe, plus one of the best ever collaborations between Run DMC and Aerosmith on ‘Walk This Way’. Robert Palmer’s ‘Addicted To Love’ would become a timeless radio staple, and the year saw new hits from Tina Turner, The Rolling Stones, a new version of a classic from The Police, and a huge hit for Status Quo with ‘In The Army Now’. #1 ballads from Chris De Burgh and Nick Berry are joined by a #1 re-release from Jackie Wilson, and another movie theme going to the top – this time from Billy Ocean with ‘When The Going Gets Tough…’ from ‘The Jewel Of The Nile’.
Three of the year’s biggest Pop-Dance hits are up next from Steve Winwood, The Human League and Nu Shooz, before Five Star’s biggest hit ‘Rain Or Shine’ - and to finish, two huge ballads; Whitney Houston’s cover of ‘Greatest Love Of All’ and a December #1 for the Housemartins with their a cappella version of ‘Caravan Of Love’.
NOW – Yearbook 1986 - A celebration of the diversity and creative magic of the year in pop.
Available as a Special Edition CD housed in ‘hard-back-book’ packaging, including a 28-page booklet featuring a summary of the year, a track-by-track guide, a quiz, and original singles artwork, and as a standard 4CD package.
"Various Artists - NOW: Yearbook 1986" is out Friday, 24th February 2023 on Universal Music and available for pre-order now.
NB: All products ordered with a pre-order will be dispatched together close to the latest pre-order release date. If you want earlier dispatched for another product then please place separate order(s).
- George Michael - A Different Corner
- a-ha - The Sun Always Shines On T.V.
- Duran Duran - Notorious
- Kate Bush - Hounds Of Love
- Eurythmics, Annie Lennox, Dave Stewart - Thorn In My Side
- Falco - Rock Me Amadeus
- Level 42 - Lessons In Love
- Kim Wilde - You Keep Me Hangin On
- Nick Kamen - Each Time You Break My Heart
- Owen Paul - My Favourite Waste Of Time
- The Bangles - Manic Monday
- Pretenders - Don't Get Me Wrong
- Paul Simon - You Can Call Me Al
- Suzanne Vega - Marlene On The Wall
- Fine Young Cannibals - Suspicious Minds
- Amazulu - Too Good To Be Forgotten
- UB40 - Sing Our Own Song
- Boris Gardiner - I Want To Wake Up With You
- Simply Red - Holding Back The Years
- Spandau Ballet - Through The Barricades
- Wham! - The Edge Of Heaven
- The Communards with Sarah Jane Morris - Don’t Leave Me This Way
- Bananarama - Venus
- Mel & Kim – Showing Out (Get Fresh At The Weekend)
- Bucks Fizz - New Beginning (Mamba Seyra)
- Miami Sound Machine - Bad Boy (Shep Pettibone 7" Remix)
- Sinitta - So Macho
- Samantha Fox - Touch Me (I Want Your Body)
- Debbie Harry - French Kissin' (In The USA)
- Belouis Some - Imagination
- The Blow Monkeys - Digging Your Scene
- Swing Out Sister – Breakout
- Aretha Franklin - Who's Zoomin' Who?
- Gwen Guthrie - Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But The Rent
- Jaki Graham - Set Me Free
- Cameo - Word Up!
- Five Star - Can't Wait Another Minute
- Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off
- Whitney Houston - How Will I Know
- Lionel Richie - Dancing On The Ceiling
- The Smiths - Panic
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Rage Hard
- Sigue Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11
- Paul Hardcastle - The Wizard (Part 1)
- New Order - Bizarre Love Triangle
- The Psychedelic Furs - Pretty In Pink
- Simple Minds - All The Things She Said
- Talk Talk - Life's What You Make It
- Furniture - Brilliant Mind
- It's Immaterial - Driving Away From Home (Jim's Tune)
- Public Image Limited - Rise
- Big Audio Dynamite - E=MC2
- Pete Wylie - Sinful
- Red Box - For America
- a-ha - I've Been Losing You
- Culture Club - Move Away
- Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - (Forever) Live And Die
- Howard Jones – No One Is To Blame
- The Damned - Eloise
- Doctor & The Medics - Spirit In The Sky
- Berlin - Take My Breath Away (Love Theme From "Top Gun")
- Bon Jovi - Livin' On A Prayer
- Europe - The Final Countdown
- RUN DMC feat. Aerosmith - Walk This Way
- Robert Palmer - Addicted To Love
- Tina Turner - Typical Male
- The Rolling Stones - Harlem Shuffle
- The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me '86
- Status Quo - In The Army Now
- Mr. Mister - Broken Wings
- Chris De Burgh – The Lady In Red
- Nick Berry - Every Loser Wins
- Jackie Wilson - Reet Petite
- Billy Ocean - When The Going Gets Tough, The Tough Get Going
- Steve Winwood - Higher Love
- The Human League - Human
- Nu Shooz - I Can't Wait
- Five Star - Rain Or Shine
- Whitney Houston - Greatest Love Of All
- The Housemartins - Caravan Of Love
Format: Special Edition 4CD Album
Catalogue Number: CDYBXNOW86
Label: Universal Music
Release Date: Friday, 24th February 2023