Various Artists - NOW 12" 80s: 1980 - (4CD Album)
Various Artists - NOW 12" 80s: 1980 - (4CD Album)
NOW Music are excited to present a brand-new series - ‘NOW 12” 80s’. The first instalment – 1980 – is released on July 14th 2023.
The 12” single was a dynamic and increasingly essential part of the release schedule as the decade progressed. Incorporating extended (sometimes the full album) versions, remixes, and re-inventions – they not only gave the dance-floor a longer version, and the listener an alternative take, but also highlighted the artistry of the producer – bringing together all kinds of elements to create new soundscapes woven together with the original track, either vocal or instrumental, to present another reason to be excited on release date.
Across 4 CDs, 45 extended, full-length or remixed versions – 44 of which appeared on 12” singles, and 1 (Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark) which although released on a 10” single, admirably fits the criteria.
As the decade opened, Disco was the dominant chart genre, and ‘NOW 12” 80s: 1980’ brings together 12” versions of huge Disco hits from Lipps Inc, Grace Jones, Change, Odyssey, Donna Summer, Gibson Brothers, and Kool & The Gang. Sheila & B. Devotion, Diana Ross and Sister Sledge all enjoyed massive success with production and writing from Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards from Chic and Pop smashes became Disco gold from Liquid Gold, Village People, Kelly Marie and the aptly titled ‘D.I.S.C.O.’ from Ottawan.
The funkier side of the dance-floor came from the U.S. with The Gap Band, Leon Haywood, Bobby Thurston, Teena Marie, Jermaine Jackson and the timeless ‘Funkin’ For Jamaica’ from Tom Browne, and the U.K. was dancing to the Brit-Funk of Linx with ‘You’re Lying’ and the relaxed Dub explorations of UB40, with two of their early 12”s included. Club smashes including ‘If You Could Read My Mind’ from Viola Wills, ‘Take Your Time’ from The S.O.S. Band, ‘Walk Away’ from Donna Summer and the hugely influential ‘Love Sensation’ from Loleatta Holloway are all included.
UK #1s from The Spinners ‘Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me Girl’, and ‘Call Me’ from Blondie in its’ stunning extended version (which wasn’t originally available in the UK on 12” single) are both featured. In 1981, Toyah would become a Top 10 regular, but in 1980 ‘Ieya’ was a huge track on the Independent chart and Sparks enjoyed a European smash with the Giorgio Moroder and Harold Faltermeyer produced ‘When I’m With You’.
As the singles chart continued to reflect the rise of Synth-Pop and the burgeoning New Romantic scene – two of the first era defining extended versions are here, from Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark with the re-recorded, longer 10” single version of ‘Messages’ – and ‘To Cut A Long Story Short’ the debut from one of the decades’ most successful groups, Spandau Ballet.
- Blondie - Call Me (Theme From "American Gigolo") (Original 12” Version)
- Lipps Inc. - Funkytown (12" Version)
- Sheila & B. Devotion - Spacer (Full Length Version)
- Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out (Full Length Version)
- Kool & The Gang - Celebration (12" Edit)
- The Gap Band - Oops Up Side Your Head (12" Single Version)
- Change – Searching (12” Version)
- Narada Michael Walden - I Shoulda Loved YA (12” Version)
- Aretha Franklin - What A Fool Believes - 12" Version
- Crown Heights Affair - You Gave Me Love (12” Mix)
- Donna Summer - Walk Away (12" Version)
- Spandau Ballet - To Cut A Long Story Short (12" Version)
- Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark - Messages (10'' Single Version)
- Sparks – When I’m With You (Full Length Version)
- Toyah – Ieya (Full Length Version)
- UB40 - The Earth Dies Screaming (12” Version)
- Linx - You're Lying (Long Version)
- Tom Browne - Funkin' For Jamaica (Remix)
- Jermaine Jackson - Let's Get Serious (12” Version)
- Leon Haywood - Don't Push It Don't Force It (12” Version)
- Bobby Thurston - Check Out The Groove (Full Length Version)
- Teena Marie - Behind The Groove (12” Version)
- Gladys Knight & The Pips - Taste Of Bitter Love (12” Version)
- Ottawan – D.I.S.C.O (12” English Version)
- Odyssey - Use It Up And Wear It Out (12" Single Edit)
- Liquid Gold – Dance Yourself Dizzy (12” Mix)
- Kelly Marie - Feels Like I’m In Love (12” Version)
- Village People – Can’t Stop The Music (12” Version)
- Grace Jones - Love Is The Drug (Long Version)
- Amii Stewart - The Letter (Long Version)
- Boney M. - My Friend Jack (Long Version)
- Stacy Lattisaw - Jump To The Beat (12” Version)
- Teddy Pendergrass - Love T.K.O. (Full Length Version)
- UB40 - Dream A Lie (12" Version)
- Donna Summer - On The Radio (12” Version)
- Change - Glow Of Love (Long Version)
- The Spinners - Working My Way Back To You / Forgive Me Girl (12” Version)
- Gibson Brothers – Cuba (12” Version)
- Viola Wills - If You Could Read My Mind (Extended Version)
- Stephanie Mills - Never Knew Love Like This Before (12” Mix)
- Loleatta Holloway - Love Sensation (A Tom Moulton Mix)
- The S.O.S Band - Take Your Time (Do It Right) (Long Version)
- Shalamar - I Owe You One (12” Version)
- Sister Sledge - Got To Love Somebody (Extended Version)
- The Whispers - And The Beat Goes On (Extended Version)
Format: 4CD Album
Catalogue Number: CDNOW1280
Label: Universal Music
Release Date: Friday, 14th July 2023