Various Artists - Musik Music Musique (1980: The Dawn Of Synth Pop) - (3xCD Capacity Wallet) - pre-order [2020-07-31]
Various Artists - Musik Music Musique (1980: The Dawn Of Synth Pop) - (3xCD Capacity Wallet)
As the dust settled following the punk rock explosion, countless new genres began to solidify and coalesce. Chief among these, in a field of its own, was Synth Pop – a suitably descriptive umbrella for the new electronic pop sound which had emerged over the previous couple of years.
Originally considered a novelty, or perhaps the eccentric sound of the laboratory technician, 1980 saw Synth Pop shake off the stigma and become the most vital, modern and energetic musical movement on the planet. From upbeat disco evolutions to ice cold post-punk expressions, dancefloors, record racks and the music press soon filled with unusual and futuristic new artists, many of whom found homes with major labels, a long way from the independent DIY aesthetic which predominated.
‘Musik Music Musique’ captures a snapshot of this milestone moment in music. Independent novelties and curiosities sit alongside big budget pop perfection. Artists who would go on to sell millions take their first steps into this new landscape whilst others make the briefest contribution before the wave moves on. For every too-cool-for-school Human League there is a so-far-out-it’s-in Yello. For every Kim Wilde a Kevin Harrison. In retrospect, the speed at which these new instruments and production techniques were absorbed by such a variety of artists astounds and confounds.
Not to be confused with so many synth-pop-by-numbers budget releases, ‘Musik Music Musique’ is an essential and insightful compendium of a place and time unique in musical chronology. Within a year, electronic pop was the rule rather than the exception, but for now it was as cutting edge and unfamiliar as anything heard since Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville first unveiled his Phonautograph in 1857.
- 3CD SET EXPLORING THE ARRIVAL OF SYNTH POP AND THE DAWN OF A NEW MUSICAL ERA.
- 58 TRACKS MARKING THE TRANSITION OF ELECTRONIC POP FROM THE OUTER REACHES OF ECCENTRICITY AND NOVELTY TO THE VERY HEART OF A MUSICAL MAINSTREAM IT WOULD QUICKLY DOMINATE.
- A TREASURE TROVE OF HOUSEHOLD NAMES - ORCHESTRAL MANOEUVRES IN THE DARK, THE HUMAN LEAGUE, ULTRAVOX, TOYAH, SPANDAU BALLET, KIM WILDE, PHILIP LYNOTT, THE BUGGLES – AND UNDERGROUND FIGUREHEADS - FAD GADGET, SUICIDE, M, JOHN FOXX, D.A.F., DALEK I LOVE YOU, VISAGE, THE RESIDENTS, YELLO – ALONGSIDE FORGOTTEN GEMS AND LESSER-KNOWN CURIOS.
- BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE TEAM BEHIND THE CRITICAL AND COMMERCIAL HITS ‘CLOSE TO THE NOISE FLOOR’ AND ‘ELECTRICAL LANGUAGE’!
- SLEEVENOTES BY ‘ELECTRONIC SOUND’ MAGAZINE’S MAT SMITH.
NB: All products ordered with a pre-order will be dispatched together close to the latest pre-order release date. If you want earlier dispatched for another product then please place separate order(s).
Track Listing - CD1
- MESSAGES – Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
- MUSIK, MUSIC, MUSIQUE – Zeus
- COITUS INTERRUPTUS – Fad Gadget
- COMPUTED MAN – Xynn
- METAL LOVE – Rod Vey
- VENDOR’S BOX – Gina X Performance
- LAWNCHAIRS – Our Daughter’s Wedding
- TOKYO – Science
- ONLY AFTER DARK – The Human League
- VICTIMS OF THE RIDDLE – Toyah
- DCT DREAMS – Nick Nicely
- DIAMONDS, FUR COAT, CHAMPAGNE – Suicide
- WAITING – Ultravox
- MONEY – Moebius
- FALLING YEARS – The Fallout Club
- DA VORNE STEHT NE AMPEL – Der Plan
- NO, NOTHING, NEVER – Dark Day
- SONS AND LOVERS – Hazel O’Connor
- SYMPATHY – Pauline Murray And The Invisible Girls
Track Listing - CD2
- GLOW – Spandau Ballet
- OFFICIAL SECRETS – M
- CHIP N ROLL – Silicon Teens
- GALACTICA – Rockets
- TUNING IN TUNING ON – Kim Wilde
- EUROPEAN MAN – Landscape
- CAN’T YOU TAKE A JOKE? HA HA HI HI! – Henriette Coulouvrat
- A CIRCUIT LIKE ME – The Metronomes
- NO ONE DRIVING – John Foxx
- KEBABTRÄUME – D.A.F.
- HARMONITALK – Gary Sloan And Clone
- YELLOW PEARL – Philip Lynott
- DALEK I LOVE YOU (DESTINY) – Dalek I
- MANNEQUIN – Taxi Girl
- THIS WORLD OF WATER – New Musik
- QUIET LIFE – Japan
- CHASE THE DRAGON – Kevin Harrison
- DISKOMO – The Residents
Track Listing - CD3
- ASTROBOY (AND THE PROLES ON PARADE) – Buggles
- MANNEQUIN – Berlin Blondes
- A CERTAIN WAY TO GO – The Passage
- BETWEEN – Sic
- BIMBO – Yello
- IMAGES OF DELUSION – Genocide
- THE LONELY SPY – Lori And The Chameleons
- LUCY – Craze
- I’M A COMPUTER – The Goo-Q
- DOCTOR …? – Blood Donor
- BRUSHING YOUR HAIR – Alex Fergusson
- DRAWN AND QUARTERED – The Korgis
- MIND OF A TOY – Visage
- D’YA THINK I’M SEXY – British Standard Unit
- LIVING WILD – Mataya Clifford
- PRIVATE LIVES – Systems
- THE EYES HAVE IT – Karel Fialka
- SUIS-JE NORMALE – Nini Raviolette
- CHINA BLUE VISION – Eyeless In Gaza
- THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING – The Red Squares
- DAMPFRIEMEN – La Dusseldorf
Format: 3xCD Capacity Wallet
Catalogue Number: CDTRED815
Label: Cherry Red Records
Release Date: Friday, 31st July 2020